Chicklet - Add to Google Homepage

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Musings: Calmness of my Conscience that scares me deep!


Fear is very often topic and tool for many of our academicians, philosophers and leaders. We have read / heard many on this. I had always believed in the quote Fear is the mother of morality. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Not just of morality but our current day religion and rituals are more of a byproduct of fear and nothing more. You may like this http://ragsgopalan.blogspot.in/2009/01/musings-ignore-god-and-extol-godliness.html


Alternatively, If you are not scared of fear then the fear shall be scared of you. This is a slightly modified (one of my favorite) quote of Thiruvalluvar who quote on troubles as “இடும்பைக் கிடும்பை படுப்பர் இடும்பைக்கிடும்பை படாஅ தவர்”.

Coming to the current musing, this is a reflection on 2 things:

1.      The extent of social ills like corruption, absence of any discipline, adherence to law and lack of speedy justice to the society are all linked primarily to the silence of the majority who are law abiding, virtuous, benevolent and right minded. It’s their silence, tolerance and “Chalta Hai” attitude which is exploited by the leaders of our time. This needs to change and this change can start only with the self. Hence I have concluded that it’s the calmness of my conscience that troubles me most. If my conscience is not calm then it would propel me into corrective action which at a larger context would reflect in the society.

2.    I was listening to song, “Achha Paththu (அச்சப்பத்து)” from Thiruvaasagam (திருவாசகம்) last evening and was inspired by that. If someone knows to read Tamil they should certainly read this gem http://www.thevaaram.org/thirumurai_1/onepage.php?thiru=8&Song_idField=81350.
This is very nicely put into tune by Maestro Ilayaraja here. Some of the puritans may like the classical Carnatic version but I love this one too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E935l0XVWk

3.      Ok. If you don’t know Tamil, then I suggest that you learn Tamil just to read Thiruvaasagam (திருவாசகம்) and you would thank me for the rest of your life. J

Now on to this blog:

Ain’t scared of fiery Volcanoes
Shaky quakes & Tsunami waves
Scarred ain’t of fires & floods
The poisons slow & the sands quick
But, dreaded I am at my deceitful friends!
Yeah! Dreaded I am at my deceitful friends!!

Ain’t scared of poisonous Snakes
The Elephants Lonely & the charging ox
Ain’t scared of the fiery beasts
Their hungry eyes, teeth & claws
But, Qualms I have at the cunning fox!
‘Coz, it’s the breach of faith by the cunning fox!

Ain’t scared of glamorous glances
Luscious lips & sensuous smiles
Scarred ain’t of the curvy hips
The husky words or the swaying backs,
But angst I have on stabbing my back!
Ouch!!
It’s stabbing my back that I can’t stand!!

Ain’t scared of sticks and swords
Shapely spears & deadly weapons
Scarred ain’t of the unnatural deaths
The Deadly diseases & daily disorders
But I panic at my thirsty lusts
The ever growing greed & my lofty pride!!

Ain’t scared of the heaven & hell
The gods multiple & the meaningless rituals
Scarred ain’t of the religious terrorists
Fatal fundamentalists, their caste & creeds
But jitters I get when justice is delayed
For Justice delayed is justice denied!!

Ain’t scared of the leaders corrupt & the media biased
The changing values and the uncertain times
Scared ain’t to fight with the might,
To take a tough call or to temporarily fall
But it’s the reticence of the righteous that scares me deep!

It’s the silence of the spiritual that scares me deep!
It’s the apathy of the honest that scares me deep!
It’s the voicelessness of the virtuous that scares me deep!
It’s the muteness of the meritorious that scares me deep!

It’s the quiescence of the educated that scares me deep!
It’s the tolerance of the trustworthy that scares me deep!
It’s the taciturn of the truthful that scares me deep!
It’s the inaction of the benevolent that scares me deep!

Above all,
It’s the calmness of my conscience that scares me deep!
It’s the calmness of my conscience that scares me deep!!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment