- Methyl Isocyanate leak led to 25000 deaths (3500 as claimed by Govt) and millions affected by it.
- Complaints of the $470m compensation paid by DOW chemicals, not reaching the right pockets. This is no news in India.
- There is not even one soul who is brought to justice for this criminal act and successive Indian governments have clearly ignored the issues.
The reasons as i can think of ignoring such a huge crime are:
- No one can play politics out of this tragedy. Had any of the political parties had been behind this disaster we could see our leaders vying for attention atleast for the sake of browny points.
- The affected people are the poorest of the poor you can find on this country and hence no powerful organizations or leaders want to associate with them for justice delivery.
- The affected people have not resorted to violence or taken up arms just like the Maoists or naxals have resorted to. I think in a country where the criminal justice system is paralyzed and defunct it takes money or power or force to make people deliver justice.
- Finally the most important issue as i see is the "Indifference in our attitude to the social issues that does not affect us". I think as a society we have become very indifferent and symbolic in our responses. Light a candle, switch off the lights for one hour in a year, form human chain... i don't understand why we want to waste our time in all such stupid symbolic responses.