Major sections of Indian media, most of the rational forward thinking minds and an unknown number of actuals “victims” are all going gay gay!... oops sorry ga ga!... over the repealing of Section 377 of Indian penal code for “decriminalizing” same sexual orientation. My thoughts are as follows:
- The term “Homo Sapiens” referring to human race, (phonetically speaking) seems to atlast found legal basis in India. :)
- The most interesting law of electro magnetic ….”Like poles repel each other” seems to have failed in this generation. That’s more work for the researchers to understand the gap.
- How a consenting adult in this country can be called a criminal for having a sexual orientation that’s deviating from the normal? This decriminalization should have been done when we as a country came into existence. I think the necessity, political will and the social acceptance has probably taken 60+ years to arrive. Good that it has arrived now!
- The judicial system needs to be complimented for establishing / bringing out a convergence in views among various religious leaders, be it Hindu, Christianity, Islam or Sikhs. Many of us did not think that we can see some convergence from all of them in one voice, does not matter that they are opposing something together.
- I don’t understand people who oppose this on spiritual grounds. Spirituality is always between me & god or between an individual and himself (aka god). Neither law nor religion nor society nor relationships can put its foot between an individual and his spiritual belief. There is no vacancy here for a third party to come in. Many tend to confuse this with being religious which I will address below.
- I don’t understand people who oppose this on moral grounds. Morality is an extension of the society and has a significant time and place value or should I say “Spacio-temporal” value attached to it.
- How can any hindu religious leader explain the vast differences in moral standards and values Rama and Krishna stood for? Both were supposed to be an avatars of Vishnu. Both were Kshatriyas. They lived in different times (Tretha Yuga & Dwapara Yuga). While Rama stood for "means" and "ends". Krishna largely ignored the "means" and looked at the "ends" only in the way he fought the Mahabharat war. But if morality can vary so much between 2 yugas then kali yuga which is by design supposed to have moral degradation, and how can it be otherwise?
If god wanted Kali yug to be like this, how can we undo his design? He has to own up this…. Per my own words in one of the blogs earlier… (http://ragsgopalan.blogspot.com/2009/01/musings-ignore-god-and-extol-godliness.html)
“If I am a producer, If I am a creator…
I own up my product, I warrant the performance…
If product malfunctions, If product misbehaves….
The product does not own up, But the producer has to own up…
If God is the creator, If God is the destroyer…
If God is the producer, If God is the user….
I am his product, You are his product….
God has to own up, Good and Evil
God has to own up, Performance & malfunctions
God has to own up, Fear of non-performance
God has to own up, Fear of malfunction…
For there is no god, when there is no fear
For god is there as god, as a byproduct of our fear"
As a country we need to know how to respect individual freedom. Our legal system is just a framework and this cannot impinge on the basic provisions of the constitution or on individual’s right. I some times get a feeling that adults in this country are getting a raw deal are repressed and are being treated like a alien to this country.
I do understand as to why religious leaders oppose it. I believe religion is all about one of the tested and prescribed ways of realizing god. Every religion prescribes a path of love, learning, discipline, moral values and increasing austerity. It also largely keeps the society and its structure intact; we don’t have to argue if it is good or bad. It is perfectly understandable that the equity of the religious leaders and the religion itself will get diluted with this thaw on the legality of this act.
Then what is "homosexuality" all about?
I believe that this is a state of mind and can very comfortably say that it’s a "Psycho-somatic" disorder. This is not a disease as there is huge difference between disease and disorder. It is essentially cultivated in a life style that is tamasic and in a debilitating environment and nurtured in a mind & body that is completely out of harmony with nature and probably thrives in an environment of emotional suppression, hormonally abnormal or with physical depravation of any sorts.
Any one can argue that this is not the case and its perfectly natural to be a homosexual. I beg to disagree.
This condition is curable. If you interpret these individuals in this light then you would understand that it does not make sense to label them a “Criminal” for being harmless and yet with a disorder. Diabetes is a disorder. How about labeling all the diabetics as criminal in India? This may sound stupid. Labeling "homosexuals" criminal is as stupid as that.
Having practiced yoga for few years and been under some good gurus I can very easily tell you that Yoga can cure this condition. One of my yoga guru explains us how to cure “adamant and stubborn’ characters. For example, back bending exercises largely cure you if you are adamant and intemperate. Same way if the irritation in the body or in mind is removed then this disorder is curable.
I request that lets be considerate to our fellow citizens, don’t hate them, don’t celebrate them, but just be as considerate as you would be with some one who is affected with a mental disorder.
Opposing them morally, spiritually, religiously or legally does not help us or them in any way!
Helping them out isn't our duty but its possible (non- allopathically) medically!
Till then we all need to realize that “A gay is a gay is a gay!”
Yours straightly! :)
Q: Isn't evident with references to just gays and homosexuals and no reference to lesbians, that the author is close to being labelled as a MCP? Or is it that the author has some other unexpressed opinion on lesbians?
A: I believe that some things are best left to an individual's imagination!